Community Files Suit Against Monsanto Challenging GMO Patents
Our sound Wood Prairie
on the precipice
of forever being bound to transgenic agriculture and transgenic food.
Coexistence between transgenic seed and organic seed is impossible
because transgenic seed contaminates and eventually overcomes organic
seed. History has already shown this, as soon after transgenic seed for
canola was introduced, organic canola became virtually extinct as a
result of transgenic seed contamination. Organic corn, soybean, cotton,
sugar beet and alfalfa now face the same fate, as transgenic seed has
been released for each of those crops, too. And transgenic seed is
being developed for many other crops, thus putting the future of all
food, and indeed all agriculture, at stake.
So began the
text of a lawsuit filed earlier today in United States District Court
in Manhatten. On
behalf of 60 family farmers, seed
businesses and organic agricultural organizations, the Public Patent
Foundation (PUBPAT) filed suit today (http://www.pubpat.org/assets/files/seed/OSGATA-v-Monsanto-Complaint.pdf)
against Monsanto Company to challenge the chemical giant's patents on
modified seed. The organic
plaintiffs were forced to sue preemptively to protect themselves from
being accused of patent infringement should they ever become
contaminated by Monsanto's genetically modified seed, something
Monsanto has done to others in the past.
case, Organic Seed Growers & Trade
Association, et al. v.
Monsanto, was filed in federal district court in Manhattan and assigned
to Judge Naomi Buchwald. Plaintiffs in the suit represent a broad array
of family farmers, small businesses and organizations from within the
organic agriculture community who are increasingly threatened by
genetically modified seed contamination despite using their best
efforts to avoid it. The plaintiff organizations have over 270,000
members, including thousands of certified organic family farmers.
Complaint, Monsanto zealously
its transgenic seed patents. Published reports and Monsanto’s
statements suggest that roughly 500 farmers are investigated for
patent infringement each year. Between 1997 and April 2010, Monsanto
lawsuits against farmers in at least 27 different states for alleged
infringement of its GM seed
of its license to those patents.
Independence Day for
America," said Wood Prairie Farm's Jim Gerritsen, a family farmer in
who raises organic seed and is President of lead plaintiff Organic Seed
and Trade Association based in Montrose, Colorado. "Today we
seeking protection from the Court and putting Monsanto on
Monsanto's threats and abuse of family farmers stops here.
genetic contamination of organic seed and organic crops ends
Americans have the right to choice in the marketplace - to decide what
food they will feed their families - and we are taking this action on
behalf to protect that right to choose. Organic farmers have
raise our organic crops for our families and our customers on our farms
the threat of invasion by Monsanto's transgenetic contamination and
without harassment by a reckless polluter. Beginning today, America
asserts her right
to justice and pure food."
The plaintiffs in the suit represented by PUBPAT are:
ORGANIC SEED GROWERS AND TRADE ASSOCIATION
ORGANIC CROP IMPROVEMENT ASSOCIATION INTERNATIONAL, INC.
OCIA RESEARCH AND EDUCATION INC.
THE CORNUCOPIA INSTITUTE
- DEMETER ASSOCIATION, INC.
- NAVDANYA INTERNATIONAL
- MAINE ORGANIC FARMERS AND GARDENERS ASSOCIATION
- NORTHEAST ORGANIC FARMING ASSOCIATION/MASSACHUSETTS
- NORTHEAST ORGANIC FARMING ASSOCIATION OF VERMONT
- RURAL VERMONT
- OHIO ECOLOGICAL FOOD & FARM ASSOCIATION
- SOUTHEAST IOWA ORGANIC ASSOCIATION
- NORTHERN PLAINS SUSTAINABLE AGRICULTURE SOCIETY
- MENDOCINO ORGANIC NETWORK
- NORTHEAST ORGANIC DAIRY PRODUCERS ALLIANCE
- CANADIAN ORGANIC GROWERS
- FAMILY FARMER SEED COOPERATIVE
- SUSTAINABLE LIVING SYSTEMS
- GLOBAL ORGANIC ALLIANCE
- FOOD DEMOCRACY NOW!
- FAMILY FARM DEFENDERS INC.
- FARM-TO-CONSUMER LEGAL DEFENSE FUND
- FEDCO SEEDS INC.
- ADAPTIVE SEEDS, LLC
- SOW TRUE SEED
- SOUTHERN EXPOSURE SEED EXCHANGE
- MUMM'S SPROUTING SEEDS
- BAKER CREEK HEIRLOOM SEED CO., LLC
- COMSTOCK, FERRE & CO., LLC
- SEEDKEEPERS, LLC
- SISKIYOU SEEDS
- COUNTRYSIDE ORGANICS
- CUATRO PUERTAS
- INTERLAKE FORAGE SEEDS LTD.
Traditional Farms and Farmers
- ALBA RANCH (Northeastern Kansas)
- WILD PLUM FARM (Dixon, Montana)
- GRATITUDE GARDENS (Concrete, Washington)
- RICHARD EVERETT FARM, LLC (Scottsbluff, Nebraska)
- PHILADELPHIA COMMUNITY FARM, INC, (Osceola, Wisconsin)
- GENESIS FARM (Blairstown, New Jersey)
- CHISPAS FARMS LLC (Albuquerque, New Mexico)
- KIRSCHENMANN FAMILY FARMS INC. (South Central, North Dakota)
- MIDHEAVEN FARMS (Park Rapids, Minnesota)
- KOSKAN FARMS (Wood, South Dakota)
- CALIFORNIA CLOVERLEAF FARMS (Merced County, California)
- NORTH OUTBACK (Wales, North Dakota)
- TAYLOR FARMS, INC. (Tremonton, Utah)
- JARDIN DEL ALMA (Monticello, New Mexico)
- RON GARGASZ ORGANIC FARMS (Volant, Pennsylvania)
- ABUNDANT ACRES (Laclede County, Missouri)
- T & D WILLEY FARMS (Madera, California)
- QUINELLA RANCH (Saskatchwan, Canada)
- NATURE'S WAY FARM LTD. (Alberta, Canada)
- LEVKE AND PETER EGGERS FARM (Alberta, Canada)
- FREY VINEYARDS, LTD. (California)
- BRYCE STEPHENS (Jennings, Kansas)
- CHUCK NOBLE (South Dakota)
- LARHEA PEPPER (O'Donnell, Texas)
- PAUL ROMERO (Espanola, New Mexico)
- DONALD WRIGHT PATTERSON, JR. (Fauquier County, Virginia)
is the description of lead
plaintiff Organic Seed Growers and Trade Association taken from the
Complaint as filed today.
Plaintiff ORGANIC SEED
GROWERS AND TRADE
ASSOCIATION is a not for profit agricultural organization that
develops, protects and promotes the organic seed trade and its growers,
and assures that the organic community has access to excellent quality
organic seed, free of contaminants and adapted to the diverse needs of
local organic agriculture. See http://www.osgata.org/. Organic farmers
require quality organic seed in order to maximize the overall integrity
and success of their organic system. Organic seed systems face risks
from transgenic contamination. The growth and development of a vibrant
organic seed trade will result in seed systems suited to the
ecological, economic, local, and sustainable challenges and needs of
organic farming. OSGATA policy states that transgenic contamination of
organic seed constitutes irreparable harm to the organic seed industry
and that it undermines the integrity of organic seed and that any
detectable level is unacceptable. OSGATA's membership is comprised of
organic farmers who produce seed crops, organic seed breeders, organic
seed companies, and affiliate organizations. OSGATA brings this action
on behalf of its forty members, some of whom are at risk of being
contaminated by Defendants' transgenic seed and consequently being sued
by Defendants for patent infringement.
To read text of the Complaint including descriptions of the other
fifty-nine plaintiffs please click
this link from our website.
We promise to keep you informed of all
in this historic lawsuit through posts on our Facebook
page, our Wood Prairie
blog and this Seed
newsletter. We will continue to
work with our allies on your behalf
to stop GMOs and to assure that our right to pure food for our families
is recognized and upheld. Jim & Megan.
T (1/2 stick) butter
1/2 lb Chantenay
carrots, peeled and sliced,
about 6 cups
c vegetable or chicken broth
the butter in a
heavy-bottomed pot and add the onions
and thyme. Cook over medium low heat until tender, about 10 minutes.
carrots and season with salt. Cook for 5 minutes. Cooking the carrots
together with the
onions for a while builds flavor.
broth. Bring to a boil,
lower the heat and simmer until
the carrots are tender, about 30 minutes. When done, season with salt
and puree if desired.
of Simple Food" by Alice
Wonderful Carrot Soup
by Angela Wotton