“TRAFFIC JAM. ” FORT FAIRFIELD, MAINE. CIRCA 1890. Photo shared by Steve Sutter.
Located along the banks of the Aroostook River and abutting the Canadian border, Fort Fairfield was one of the early
Fort Fairfield (aka “Fort”) was named for John Fairfield, the 13th and 16th Governor of the State of Maine.
The Town’s predominant geography of high, dry ground and notable extensive expanses of Caribou Loam soil, helped make Fort Fairfield a leader in Aroostook County Potato production.
Proximity to the Aroostook River aided river-based-transportation and allowed Fort Fairfield to become an important commercial trade center of Aroostook County for many decades.
Caleb, Megan & Jim